2019-2020 Northeast Farm to School Institute
The Northeast Farm to School Institute is a unique year-long professional learning opportunity for twelve school teams from New England and New York. It is a cornerstone professional development program of Vermont FEED, our Farm to School partnership project with NOFA-VT. The Institute kicks off with a Summer Retreat held at Shelburne Farms from June 25-27, 2019.
BENEFITS OF PARTICIPATION
- Farm to School Program Development: during the Summer Retreat, participants will develop a comprehensive school-wide Farm to School Action Plan that includes curriculum, local procurement, utilizing outdoor learning spaces, and cultivating family and community connections.
- School-Year Coaching: teams will be paired with an experienced coach from their state’s Farm to School Network. You’ll have communication and meetings with this coach throughout the school year to assist you in implementing and adapting your action plan to meet the changing needs of the school.
- Networking: Individuals and teams will have time to share innovations, join in dialogue, and share food and fun with other Farm to School practitioners.
- Teacher & Nutrition Staff Professional Development: All team members receive certification of participation for the Summer Retreat. School nutrition staff receive continuing education/training hours for their time. Teachers may opt to receive graduate continuing education credits through Castleton University by participating in a fall curriculum retreat.
- Attend the three-day residential Summer Retreat at Shelburne Farms for team planning time and connecting with peers and Farm to School experts from June 25-27, 2019.
- Participation in planning meetings with your coach for the full school year.
- Program fee of $900 per accepted team will be due by the end of April in order to secure the team’s spot. Cost of attendance should not be a hindrance in a school or district team deciding to apply, as scholarships are available. The program fee includes the cost of room and meals at the Summer Retreat.
The 2019-2020 Northeast Farm to School Institute is made possible with the support of the Doe Family Foundation, the Ittleson Foundation, the Henry P. Kendall Foundation, and the Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets.Registration Details:
Full details listed by Vermont FEED, including program details, the application process, and team requirements.
Applications due Thursday, March 7, 2019. We hope to notify applicants of acceptance by the end of March 2019.
Please direct questions to Program Administration Coordinator Kelly Foster at [email protected].
See all events.