included in General Admission.
Enjoy a fun, safe, friendly and informative experience with your family! The Farmyard, located in the south wing of the Farm Barn, opened in 1991 and aims to give you and your family a positive, hands-on experience with agriculture!
How do you get to the Farmyard?
- Stroll the Walking Trail from Welcome Ctr. (3/4 mile)
- Ride a 15-minute tractor wagon shuttle from the Welcome Ctr. to the Farm Barn.
- The shuttle to the Farm Barn leaves the Welcome Center at 10am and every half hour thereafter (00:00 and 00:30)
- The shuttle leaves the Farm Barn to return to the Welcome Center every half hour at 00:15 and 00:45.
- The last shuttle leaves the Welcome Ctr. at 4 pm.
- The last shuttle back to the Welcome Center leaves at 4:45 pm.
- The shuttle pickup and dropoff location is inside the Farm Barn courtyard, just outside the Cheesemaking area.
What can you do at the Farmyard?
From mid-May to mid-October, explore on your own or join any educational activity scheduled throughout the day! The activities begin at 10:30 by welcoming the chickens outside for the day at the “Chicken Parade.” Activites run every half hour until the Brown Swiss cow gets milked by machine at 4:00. Our trained, enthusiastic educators look forward to connecting with you and your family as they lead these interactive activities.
- Chicken Parade (10:30 am)
- Milk a Cow by hand (11 am & 2 pm daily) Watch the video!
- Egg Collecting (self-guided anytime between 10:30 and 3pm, or guided by an educator during Eggstravaganza!)
- Farm Chores (help the farmers feed the animals every day at 3:30pm)
- Raptors In Residence: Meet a live bird of prey and learn about the amazing world of raptors with Outreach for Earth Stewardship every Saturday at 1PM, June - October.
Other activities may include and are not limited to:
- Groom A Draft Horse
- Goat Milking (daily at 4:15 pm once our does have begun producing milk)
- Wool Bracelet Making
- Brush a Sheep
- Soak the Sow
- Get in the Garden
- and many, many more!
The schedule changes daily except for Milk a Cow, Chicken Parade, and Farm Chores activities. Give us a call or come over to find out what’s happening today!
What animals do we have?
- Brown Swiss milk cow
- Brown Swiss calves
- Dairy Goats (due to kid in the beginning of July)
- Sheep and lambs
- Pig and piglets
- Laying hens of all shapes and sizes
- Broilers (arriving in June)
- Turkeys (arriving in June)
- Miniature Sicilian Donkeys
- Draft Horse
Note: in the off season, these animals are moved to “winter quarters” and are not in the Farmyard.