We are seeking undergraduate interns interested in earning credit while working with and learning from our education programs. You’ll work primarily with our school programs (four-hour field trips for elementary-age classes), and also with our early childhood programs, and weekend family and public programs. You’ll be mentored by education staff members, a variety of texts and resources, and through independent reflection. Upon successfully completing the internship, you many potentially apply for paid seasonal staff positions.
Internships are offered seasonally:
- Fall: September - December
- Spring: January - May
- Summer: May - August
- Participate in an orientation to Shelburne Farms and the internship role.
- Observe, team teach, and teach activities for Shelburne Farms school programs during weekdays.
- Participate in daily set-up and debrief meetings with education team.
- Complete required readings and topical preparation work before scheduled programs.
- Support and/or teach family programs and public events on occasional weekends.
- Participate in and provide support for seasonal special events.
- Attend planning meetings for programs and spend time preparing lessons and materials.
- Meet with supervisor to create goals and a personalized work plan.
- Maintain a daily reflection log to note skill development and change over time.
- Check in regularly with mentors and supervisor to discuss performance, goals, and work plan.
- Communicate effectively with coworkers to create a respectful and communicative work environment.
- Work on assigned education projects on occasional non-teaching days.
- Receive and incorporate constructive feedback from supervisor and mentors into teaching practice.
- Support a continuous effort to foster a culturally aware learning community, open to multiple perspectives.
- Educational background, and/or experience with education, sustainability, or farm-based education.
- Junior or senior standing.
- Prior experience with camps or education programs.
- Positive and flexible attitude with co-workers and visitors.
- Solution-oriented mindset when faced with challenges.
- Demonstrate initiative and display motivation in work.
- Can follow directions in assigned tasks and work independently.
- Openness to receive supportive praise and constructive feedback and make adjustments with a growth mindset.
- Availability on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesday, and/or Fridays 8-230, and occasional weekends.
- Commitment to work a full season (see above)
- Receive college credit (3 credits: 10hrs/week)
- Reliable personal transportation.
Physical Working Conditions
- Outdoor work environment
- Varied weather conditions
- Ability to move over uneven terrain
- Undergraduate credit (arranged by applicant)
- Admission to Shelburne Farms
Please email a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for two references to: [email protected].
- Fall 2020: We are unable to host interns due to cancellation of school field trip programming in response to COVID 19.
- Spring 2021 internships: Apply by November 15, 2020.
- Summer 2021 internships: Apply by April 1, 2021.
- Fall 2021 internships: Apply by June 1, 2021.
Shelburne Farms is committed to fostering a culturally aware learning community that is open to multiple perspectives.
NOTE: Housing and payment are not provided. This is not an employment agreement, and Shelburne Farms does not provide compensation, reimbursement, Workers Compensation, or Health Care coverage for this position.