How Bequests Work
Including Shelburne Farms as a beneficiary in your Will or Living Trust is a simple and thoughtful way to create a lasting legacy.
- You include a bequest provision in your Will or Trust designating a particular asset or a percentage to Shelburne Farms (EIN #03-0229347). [see sample bequest language]
- You inform Shelburne Farms of your commitment so we may thank you and ensure that your wishes are clear and can be fulfilled (especially important if your bequest is restricted and/or includes real estate or other specialized assets.)
- After your lifetime, your legacy gift lives on, helping Shelburne Farms to thrive. Unrestricted gifts provide the greatest flexibility to address future priorities.
- You may change your bequest or trust designation any time.
- Your bequest or trust designation will not be subject to any potential federal estate tax.
- If your bequest includes real estate, you control the property during your lifetime.
- You create a lasting legacy that supports Shelburne Farms in the future.
Simple Bequest Language
Here is sample language to include a bequest to Shelburne Farms while creating your Will or Trust, or by adding a simple codicil to an existing document:
I/We hereby give (% of my residuary estate, $ dollars, and/or specific asset) to Shelburne Farms (EIN # 03-0229347), a nonprofit education organization located at 1611 Harbor Road in Shelburne, Vermont, 05482, for its unrestricted purposes.