included in General Admission.
Enjoy a fun, safe, friendly and informative experience with your family! The Children’s Farmyard, located in the south wing of the Farm Barn, will give you and your family a positive, hands-on experience with agriculture!
How do you get to the Farmyard?
- Stroll the Walking Trail from Welcome Ctr. (3/4 mile)
- Ride a 15-minute tractor wagon shuttle from the Welcome Ctr. to the Farm Barn.
- Shuttle to Farm Barn: Leaves Welcome Center every half hour (00:00 and 00:30) First shuttle: 10am; last shuttle: 4PM.
- Return shuttle leaves the Farm Barn every half hour (00:15 and 00:45). Last shuttle: 4:45PM.
- Farm Barn shuttle pickup/dropoff is in the courtyard, just outside the Cheesemaking area.
Note: For road safety, driving personal vehicles to the Farm Barn in season is not permitted (Handicap parking is available).
Exploring the Farmyard
From mid-May to mid-October, explore on your own or join any educational activity scheduled throughout the day!
- 10:30AM - Chicken Parade: The day’s first activity! We open the coop to let the chickens out, while you learn more about chickens and why we have them on the farm.
- 11AM (also 2PM) - Milk a Cow: Meet our Brown Swiss dairy cow. In this not-to-be-missed activity, we’ll model our tried-and-true milking technique, then you get to hand milk the cow!
- 11:30AM-3PM - Rotating Activities, which may include Soak a Sow, Groom a Donkey, Get in the Garden, Meet a Sheep, Working with Wool, and more!
- 4PM - Machine Milk a Cow: Learn more about our dairy operation while educators milk the dairy cow with a machine.
- Raptors In Residence: Meet a live bird of prey and learn about the amazing world of raptors with Outreach for Earth Stewardship. 1:00 PM.
- Saturdays only: May 18-June 15 and September 28-October 19.
- Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays: June 18 - September 21.
What animals do we have?
- Brown Swiss dairy cow
- Brown Swiss calves
- Dairy goats
- Turkey (coming mid-June)
- Miniature Sicilian Donkeys
- Draft Horse
Note: in the off season, these animals are moved to “winter quarters” and are not in the Farmyard.