All on-site programs are suspended until further notice. Trails are open. You may order Farm products for curbside pickup at Welcome Center & Farm Store (closed to foot traffic). Opening dates for Children’s Farmyard, Tours, and Inn are to be determined. More details at: COVID-19 homepage.
included in General Admission.
Enjoy a fun, safe, friendly and informative experience with your family! The Children’s Farmyard, located in the south wing of the Farm Barn, will give you and your family a positive, hands-on experience with agriculture!
How do you get to the Farmyard?
- Stroll the Walking Trail from Welcome Center (3/4 mile)
- Ride a 15-minute tractor wagon shuttle from the Welcome Center to the Farm Barn.
- Shuttle to Farm Barn: Leaves Welcome Center every half hour (00:00 and 00:30) First shuttle: 10:00AM; last shuttle: 4:00PM.
- Return shuttle leaves the Farm Barn every half hour (00:15 and 00:45). Last shuttle: 4:45PM.
- Farm Barn shuttle pickup/dropoff is in the courtyard, just outside the cheesemaking area.
*Note: For road safety, driving personal vehicles to the Farm Barn in season is not permitted (ADA accessible parking is available).
Exploring the Farmyard
From mid-May to mid-October, explore on your own or join any educational activity scheduled throughout the day!
- 10:30AM - Chicken Parade: The day’s first activity! We open the coop to let the chickens out, while you learn more about chickens and why we have them on the farm.
- 11:00AM & 2:00PM - Milk a Cow: Meet our Brown Swiss dairy cow. In this not-to-be-missed activity, we’ll model our tried-and-true milking technique, then you get to hand milk the cow!
- 11:30AM to 3:00PM - Rotating Activities: May include Soak a Sow, Groom a Donkey, Get in the Garden, Meet a Sheep, Working with Wool, and more!
- 4:00PM - Machine Milk a Cow: Learn more about our dairy operation while educators milk the dairy cow with a machine.
- 1:00PM - Raptors In Residence: Meet a live bird of prey and learn about the amazing world of raptors with Outreach for Earth Stewardship.
- Saturdays only: May 18 through June 15; September 28 through October 19.
- Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays: June 18 through September 21.
- All day - Enjoy our Storywalk located on the Lone Tree Hill Trail beside the donkey pasture. Follow along a seasonal story as it’s displayed page by page throughout the trail. Your family can read as you walk, letting the story unravel with every step. StoryWalk® was created by Anne Ferguson of Montpelier, VT and developed in collaboration with the Kellogg-Hubbard Library.
What animals do we have?
- Brown Swiss dairy cow
- Brown Swiss calves
- Dairy goats
- Turkey (coming mid-June)
- Miniature Sicilian Donkeys
- Draft Horse
*Note: in the off season, these animals are moved to “winter quarters” and are not in the Farmyard.