What is a QCD?
A QCD is a direct transfer of funds from your IRA custodian, payable to a qualified charity like Shelburne Farms. If you are required to make annual withdrawals from your IRA, these otherwise taxable distributions can satisfy your annual Required Minimum Distribution and exclude the funds from your taxable income. The QCD can be particularly beneficial if you do not itemize and take the standard deduction.
If you qualify, simply authorize the custodian of your IRA or Roth to make a QCD to Shelburne Farms (EIN # 03-0229347) located at 1611 Harbor Road in Shelburne, Vermont, 05482.
- You must be age 70½ or older at the time of the gift.
- Transfers must be made by your plan administrator direct to charity by Dec 31 of the tax year.
- The total amount you may distribute in one year to all charities is $100,000.
- Funds withdrawn by you and then contributed do NOT qualify. Gifts from 401k, 403b, SEP and other plans do not qualify.
- You pay no income taxes on the gift. The transfer generates neither taxable income nor a tax deduction, so you benefit even if you do not itemize your deductions.
- QCDs can be counted toward satisfying your required minimum distributions for the year.
- Your gift will be put to immediate good work supporting Shelburne Farms.
Thank you for considering a QCD to Shelburne Farms. It’s a tax-wise way to support the Farm and our work educating for a sustainable future!
If you would like more information about giving through your IRA or including Shelburne Farms in your estate plans, please contact Sue Dixon, Special Gifts Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 802-985-0322.