Giving Retirement Assets
Supporting Shelburne Farms using your traditional IRA or Roth IRA is easy and saves taxes.
If you are 70½ years old or older, you may make a qualified charitable distribution (QCD) from your IRA to Shelburne Farms without paying income taxes on the money. This is a tax-wise way to support the mission and work of the Farm now and into the future.
After years of short-term authorization, the IRA Charitable Rollover is now permanent. If you qualify, simply authorize the custodian of your IRA or Roth to make a QCD to Shelburne Farms (EIN # 03-0229347) located at 1611 Harbor Road in Shelburne, Vermont, 05482.
- You must be age 70½ or older at the time of the gift.
- Transfers must be made by your plan administrator direct to charity by Dec 31 of the tax year.
- The total amount you may distribute in one year to all charities is $100,000.
- Gifts must be outright. Distributions to donor-advised funds or life-income arrangements such as charitable remainder trusts and charitable gift annuities are not allowed.
- Funds withdrawn by you and then contributed do NOT qualify. Gifts from 401k, 403b, SEP and other plans do not qualify.
- You pay no income taxes on the gift. The transfer generates neither taxable income nor a tax deduction, so you benefit even if you do not itemize your deductions.
- QCDs can be counted toward satisfying your required minimum distributions for the year.
- Keeping your taxable income lower may reduce the impact to certain tax credits and deductions, including Social Security and Medicare.
- Your gift will be put to immediate good work supporting Shelburne Farms.
Thank you for considering a QCD to Shelburne Farms. It’s a tax-wise way to support the Farm and our work educating for a sustainable future!
For more information, please contact Sue Dixon, Special Gifts Coordinator, 802-985-0322.