The Coach Barn is home to our Institute for Sustainable Schools, and an inspiring setting to host various Shelburne Farms events, as well as those of other nonprofits, businesses, and community members.
Completed in 1902, it was the last major Shelburne Farms building designed by Robert H. Robertson, and the last major building constructed on the property. As its name implies, the Coach Barn stabled carriage and riding horses for the Webb family; stored carriages, sleighs, and tack; and housed groomsmen. After the carriage collection was donated to the newly-formed Shelburne Museum in 1947, the barn began housing sheep, wintering heifers and hosting cattle auctions.
Beginning in 1972, the Coach Barn served as an education center for the newly-formed nonprofit, hosting school trips, summer camps and educator workshops. This function passed to the Farm Barn in 1993.
Work has begun in 2023 to renovate and restore the Coach Barn, which will put it "off-line" for events for about a year.